WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?Dental crowns and bridges are a fixed solution to missing, damaged, or grossly decayed teeth that can no longer be salvaged. A crown is essentially an artificial tooth that is color- and texture-matched to mimic the characteristics of your existing teeth and then fitted onto the weakened tooth structure. The crown is bonded to the tooth using special cement, making it “permanent” and fixed in place.
WHAT ARE DENTAL BRIDGES?
Dental bridges are a prosthetic appliance that is offered to patients with more than one missing tooth. A dental bridge consists of two or more specially fitted crowns or false teeth (called pontics) that are held in place by anchoring teeth (called abutments) on either side of the gap. Like dental crowns, bridges can also be color- and texture-matched to the natural teeth.
TYPES OF CROWNS AND BRIDGES
At Prime Dentistry located in the heart of North-east Philadelphia, we understand that a single type of dental crown and bridge may not be suitable for all of our beloved patients. In order to deliver the right dental crown and bridge best suited for you, we offer many types such as:
Zirconium crowns and bridges
Zirconium is a relatively new material that has been used to model crowns and bridges and is extremely well-loved for its incredible strength and ability to resist corrosion. Zirconium crowns also offer unique biocompatibility and aesthetic value that makes them all the more sought after. Similarly, zirconium bridges are restorations known for their realistic color, texture, and translucency properties.
Some critical features of zirconium crowns are:
- Resistant to chipping, cracking, and discoloration or staining
- Biocompatible and safe material that does not cause metal sensitivity in patients
- Preserves the structure of the missing, damaged, or stained tooth
- Smooth exterior prevents abrasion to the adjacent teeth and gum tissue
- Can be found in a wide range of colors, allowing complete customization
- Natural-looking with the most realistic light-reflecting properties to real teeth
Porcelain crowns and bridges
Porcelain crowns are the most common types of restoration available today. They not only offer exceptional levels of color customization but also are highly durable. In fact, if you get your porcelain crowns and porcelain bridges from Prime Dentistry, they are known to last anywhere from 15 to 20 years.
Some critical features of porcelain crowns are:
- Realistic and natural cosmetic result
- Needs less tooth preparation as compared to zirconium crowns
- Moderate strength, typically used for front teeth where biting pressure is less
- Poor conductor of heat and cold, thus reducing temperature sensitivity
- Can be used for patients with metal sensitivity but requires initial testing
Whether you choose zirconium crowns or porcelain bridges, it is best to note that these natural teeth look alikes offer brilliant strength and natural optic properties making them indistinguishable from your existing teeth. If you frequently find yourself looking at smiling models in magazines longingly, it may be time to take your smile for a fun makeover at Philadelphia’s most trusted dental office, Prime Dentistry!
By getting dental crowns and bridge treatment done at Prime Dentistry in Philadelphia, you’re ensuring a lifetime of self-confidence and happiness. When the world coughs up a new opportunity to smile, don’t pass on it. Instead, smile bright with our brilliant porcelain or zirconium crowns and bridges!